Tapered Arch-Shaped Sculpture
The much awaited striking Tapered Arch-Shaped Sculpture Public Art Sculpturefor the Mayo Civic Center Expansion arrived on Saturday December 9. Construction crews from Knutson set the sculpture in place under the direction of artist Po Shu Wang of Berkeley, California. CPMI was the Owner Representative and helped in the coordination of the purchase and installation of the sculpture.
Technical details of the Sculpture
- Dimensions: 30 feet in length, 7 feet 6 inches in width, 15 feet 4 inches in height
- Weight: 5,520 pounds
- The sculpture is made of structural stainless steel. It was fabricated at a factory in Oakland, California by Wang and welders under Wang’s supervision.
- An outdoor LED light, small microprocessor, and speaker will be located near the outdoor sculpture and activated in spring, 2018.
- The software that translates what’s typed into the keyboard (located in the inside kiosk) into music and light was completed by a programmer from Denmark.
- The sculpture was cut in two in order to be transported from California on a flatbed truck. The sculpture will be welded back together onsite on Saturday.
- The total cost of the sculpture was $200,000. It was part of the Mayo Civic Center expansion project and was paid for by the City of Rochester.