Paul Oberhaus, Vice President , CPMI recently achieved certification through the Construction Management Association of America (CMAA). The Certified Construction Manager (CCM) distinction is a sure sign that an individual has both the technical knowledge and the proven practical experience to guide their projects to success.
Administered by The Construction Manager Certification Institute (CMCI), the CCM is the “gold standard” in personnel credentials for the Construction Management profession. It is the only CM certification accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) under the International Organization for Standardization’s ISO 17024 standard.
According to the CMAA:
“More than 1700 professionals now boast the designation “Certified Construction Manager.”
They know the value this distinction will bring to their careers and the confidence it inspires in their clients. The Certified Construction Manager (CCM) is someone who has voluntarily met the prescribed criteria of the CCM program with regard to formal education, field experience and demonstrated capability and understanding of the CM body of knowledge. Certified Construction Managers provide a professional service: they apply effective management techniques to the planning, design, and construction of a project from inception to completion for the purpose of controlling time, cost and quality.”
Shortly after Paul received his certification, Dave Nelson, long-time client with the City of Saint Paul retired and sent a personal message to Paul regarding their relationship. Some of the points are listed here and express Paul’s achievement beyond just technical competence:
· You know the science and art of Construction Management and the dedication to do it and do it well;
· You have construction smarts, financial savvy and a sense of “time is money”;
· With your tact and sensor of humor you transformed a hard bargaining confrontation into a problem solving endeavor;
· You know how to successfully bring education, experience and street smarts to the table;
· You know how to entrust confidence in others by coaching and supporting them;
· You know how to listen to people, not just hear them;
· You are approachable and easy going;
· You have a passion for doing the right thing;
· (But most important) You transformed clients into friends.